Sign in to follow this  
AA

Rise Biscuits & Donuts

North Carolina chain breaking into the Texas market at the NE corner of Stacy & Watters in the new developments.

http://risebiscuitsdonuts.com/about/

Menu didn't look that impressive to me, just another donut place.  So I asked them what made them special.  They replied... 

"We will be serving the ultimate doughnuts with amazing ingredients and the most supreme biscuits you've ever tasted. Think maple bacon bar, chocolate chip cookie dough doughnuts, chicken biscuits, chicken fried steak and pepper gravy biscuits, bacon, egg and cheese biscuits"

I'll give it a shot but I would like a donut place that REALLY stands out.  Think Voodoo Doughnuts

What do you mean "may"?  It was for sure coming in May 2016 when I posted this.  

I have been seeing stories about "Hurts Donuts" in Frisco this week and it has made me crave them.  

https://www.facebook.com/Hurts-Donut-Frisco-Texas-924755990969719/?fref=ts

That is the type of place I want here.  They are killing it their first week and is open 24 hours a day.  They have 100 employees if that is an indicator on how much business they are doing 

Owwww!  The price of a Hurts Donut is crazy.  Give me Max's Donuts that has been at Greenville and McDermott for years; they may not be fancy but they are good.

Yeah, looks like over $1/donut.  I love Max's as much as any other Allenite, but Hurts are just creative and original.  Speaking of Allen Donuts, we've gotten Southern Maid a couple times lately at the place almost across the street from Max's next to the boxing place.  It used to be Daylight Donuts or something like that but now they do Southern Maid.  I never heard of them since I'm not from here but natives at work boasted about them.  I honestly think their regular glazed donuts are better than Max's.  

The Southern Maid donut shop on Greenville (near the Mayor's dry cleaning shop) is nice and, as mentioned, their glazed donuts are outstanding. I have long favored Southern Maid glazed donuts. They have a slightly different tast than those at Max's. Hope they are successful.

Tried this place this morning, will probably be my only time.  First, far too expensive for what it is.  Cost me over $8 for a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit and a donut.  

The Biscuit:  In all, it was very big and hearty, I felt full when finished, but not necessarily satisfied.  Actually the size of the biscuit covered up the taste of the bacon/egg/cheese.  You could have told me I was just eating a biscuit and I would have believed it.  Really couldn't taste anything else.  The biscuit itself I didn't even think was great.  Not for a place that it is supposed to be the signature item.  The cost really added up since you start with just the biscuit, then separate charge for bacon, separate charge for egg, separate charge for cheese.  I guess it's nice having it a-la-carte to get what you want, but it is daunting when you are told it is an up-charge with every topping you want.  I'll stick to Whataburger for my biscuit sandwiches based on flavor and price.  

The Donut:  Grabbed a donut just in case either the biscuit didn't fill me up or left me unsatisfied and the donut would surely give me a good finish.  Choices were very limited.  After asking about some of them and not thinking they sounded good, I chose to just go with the chocolate.  I even said to her "you can't go wrong with chocolate".  Well, I went wrong.  It was a cake donut to which I always prefer, but it was spongy and chewy.  And the chocolate flavor had a very weird after taste. Everything about it just tasted artificial.  I actually threw it away after a few bites.  I am a chocoholic, I do not ever throw anything chocolate away.  So that's very telling.  Afterward, I wished I had ate the bad donut first and had the mediocre biscuit as my finish.  I'll stick to Max's, Southern Maid and Hurts for my donuts based on flavor.  EDIT:  Also because of price now that I looked at my receipt.  $1.75/donut!!!  

The good:  The girl at the counter was friendly, bubbly and helpful.  The menu was huge, lots of options and many of them that I wanted to try.  I'm just not sure that I will now.

side note, they had very loud EDM music playing which was very strange.  Note, I'm fairly young, a DJ on the side so I like my music loud, and actually love EDM music.  But before 8am I feel is just obnoxious.  #OldManMoment 

My wife and I went yesterday and and we were underwhelmed as well. They were super busy and under staffed the line was out the door. IF we every go back it won't be anytime soon.

The donuts were not appealing looking at all so we skipped those. We bought some biscuits with fried chicken. I personally thought the biscuits were a nice size and tasted pretty good they didn't fall apart when you ate them. Now the chicken they put in the biscuits was over cooked and didn't taste good at all. Out of the 4 biscuits we ordered only one was edible.

I must say I'm super bummed I've been looking forward for this place to open for a while now and what a let down it was.

The way people have been talking about this place you would have thought it's the greatest thing ever

We had the same experience. It's good but not something I would go out of my way for

It's funny, everyone that has gone on about how good they are is from the east coast where they are famous. So I'm thinking it's more of a nostalgia thing.

I've certainly had better donuts in Allen and for biscuits, give me whataburger or chick Fila or even braums

I'm thinking this place is the In-N-Out of the donut/biscuit world.  Not that I don't like In-N-Out, but nothing worth boasting about.  

I'm sure Texas transplants in the NE would be the same way if Whataburger opened there.  Many natives there would compare it to Shake Shack and probably wouldn't be impressed just out of spite.  The same way Texans did to In-N-Out vs Whataburger.  

If you haven't noticed, this place is already gone.  Only lasted 8 months.  I really don't understand why this place had so much media attention when it turned out to be so bad.  I saw articles even in DMN and other Dallas magazines about it coming.  

I tried it once again after my bad experience above and it was just as bad.  I got a chicken biscuit this time and the chicken could hardly even be considered meat.  The inside was a big blob of chewy Styrofoam even though the outside was extremely dark.   I contacted them about it and the manager gave me a hard time that I didn't ask him about it while I was there.  I explained to him that typically when people get food to go, that means they probably have somewhere to go and don't open and inspect their food at the restaurant.  I sent him a picture of the chicken and he said it was just overcooked.  I told him it was likely leftover chicken from the day before and heated up in the microwave and he got mad.  He said they fry each chicken to order but didn't have an answer when I asked him if that is the case then how it was possible that my food was presented to me in less than a minute when frying a piece of chicken definitely takes longer than that and isn't luke warm 5 minutes later when you take the first bite.  He brushed me off and offered a replacement next time I came in.  I told him I wasn't coming back in after 2 bad experiences.  I also tried a different donut than the above one that I didn't like and it too was the worst donut I've ever had.  Seriously, how do you make a donut gross???  Good riddance.  You folks in North Carolina where this place is popular have horrible taste in food

I was looking forward to this place opening and what a letdown it was. Crappy food and crappy service, I think the wrong person opened it up but I guess we'll never know.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:01 AM, AA said:

If you haven't noticed, this place is already gone.  Only lasted 8 months.  I really don't understand why this place had so much media attention when it turned out to be so bad.  I saw articles even in DMN and other Dallas magazines about it coming.. 

... You folks in North Carolina where this place is popular have horrible taste in food

I think it's mostly the marketing people who play up the greatness of these sorts of chain restaurants and then folks that have moved here just want something, anything that they can call their own and to tell you "yeah, we have these back home and it's great. Texans just don't know food".

The pictures of the "doughnuts" on the website look dreadful to me!  (I'm not a doughnut or a food expert but I've been practicing for my whole life so far)