Sign in to follow this  
Allen1999

Mooyah Allen - not safe for Gluten Free

If you know anyone with celiac disease or who is gluten intollerant, please know that Mooyah's Allen is no longer safe for gluten free eating.  They were safe in the past, but new management changed their approach in the last few months and 2nd follow up today within the last couple months confirmed this.  Note that you can safely go to Mooyah's in Plano on Independence/Legacy.

The biggest issue is the French fries.  Previous Allen management was smart enough to know how to keep 1 of their 3 fryers dedicated to French fries so there is no cross contamination from other food products.  EASY to do.  Mooyah's in Plano gets it.  After a 2nd follow up within 2 months with Allen, they just don't get it (yet). 

I share this because many in the celiac community previously listed Mooyah's as a safe place to order gluten- free.  That is the case in Plano.  This is NOT the case any longer in Allen.

What about the one at Spring Creek and Hwy 5 in Plano?

You need to call the local store manager.  We have found 2 Mooyah's that are safe and 2 that are not.  I can't remember the other locations.  I believe Flower Mound was messed up as well.  If you can persuade the manager at any location, the solution is easy (as solved by the previous owner/management in Allen in 2015 and before)... they have 3 grease flyers.  Each day they shift grease one spot such that spot 1 is new grease and spots 2 and 3 are rotated from the previous day.  The trick for them is easy: In spot 1, only use French Fries so there is no cross contamination.  But in spots 2 or 3, they can also cook French Fries or chicken tenders or anything they like.

Related, but also unrelated... Scotty P's is not the best option.  They offered that if you call them 30-45 minutes in advance, they will be happy to arrange for gluten free fries.  You can't just show up.  I'm thankful that Scotty P's has an option.  But it's amazing some of these companies are still behind the times with their procedures.

Didn’t want to start a new topic so resurrecting this one. 

Now that I’m free to talk, stay away from Mooyah. When they run out of fresh beef they send their employees over to Target and buy their frozen patties and serve those to you. That should be enough to deter you, but there’s more.  This only applies to the Allen Mooyah as far as I know. 

"Now that I’m free to talk"  What does that mean?

If true, why wouldn't they buy fresh meat at Target over frozen?  Or better yet, Costco since they can buy in bulk.  

I don't think I've had a bad burger from this Mooyah, so if it was frozen at one time, they prepared it well enough that it didn't matter 

Family member worked there and just voluntarily left mainly due to the mismanagement by the owners. I didn't want to say anything while (s)he was still employed there.

They advertise that they only serve fresh meat.  So when they serve frozen patties they are not being honest.  Also, they only serve frozen Target patties when they run out of fresh meat while the store is open (due to their inability to order/plan correctly).  They would make an employee take money from the register, clock out (yep, clock out because they're not "working") and run over to the Target down the way and buy frozen patties.

And yeah Al C, they absolutely should tell the customers "we're out of meat" when they run out of fresh meat.  Perhaps that would persuade the owners to learn how to run a business (FYI, Allen is the least profitable Mooyah franchise.)

By the way, if you're ever there late and they start to clean the grill, I would leave immediately.  The chemical they use causes burns to the skin and damage to the lungs, and requires anyone in it's presence to wear a respirator and fully body protection, which the employees are not provided.  That's why you'll routinely see employees running outside for fresh air right around closing time.