AA

Stacy Green - SW Corner of Stacy & 75

Well, the old Stacy farmhouse and all the land has finally been sold.  That corner is on tomorrow's City Council agenda and it is huge.  Lots of restaurants, retail, offices, grocery, theater, apartments, etc.

https://allen.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=7034&MeetingID=667

Click on the "ordinance" attachment on the bottom for renderings.  No tenants announced yet I don't think

They may ask about the house at the CC meeting.  I usually watch the video Wednesday morning, I'll let you know if they do or announce any possible tenants.  That's a lot of restaurants planned to fill 

Are they going to move the house somewhere to preserve it?  I have always loved seeing it and wondering about the old history of it.

Actually, just read the minutes from the P&Z meeting and it was already asked:

"2nd Vice-Chair Platt asked what would happen to the small house along Stacy Road and whether it was a historical landmark.

Mr. Glaser said that it is not a historical landmark and that it would be removed. He stated that there has not been a tenant in the building for two years."

I know it was owned by the Stacy family but didn't realize there was nobody there for that long 

I think they are saying that it is not labeled historical or protected by the Allen Heritage Guild or Texas Historical Commission, meaning there will be no legal issues removing it.  

Thanks for the link! I am curious what will become the "grocer" they are envisioning. At below 10k sq ft, it will not be a traditional supermarket. It's about the size of a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, which we already have nearby. 

I have not lived in Allen for decades, but in the last 15 years since my family's lived here it's an amazing change. When we got here there was no Watters Rd between McDermott and 121. Stacy Rd east of 75 was single lane traffic. There was a short exit ramp coming off 75 to Stacy, when there were few residential neighborhoods west of 75. Allen Outlet was only an L shape structure. V of Fairview (now Fairview Town Sq) was a golf practice range. Oh and the air strip! Now finally the last corner of 75/Stacy will be transformed and we practically have every store you can imagine here (well other than Costco  :D ).

I think about the only thing that has not caught up with time in Allen is that darn Post Office!

When we moved here 30 years ago, I don't think you could go any further  west than Independence or Coit on McDermott. I never imagined that Allen would be so big.  I also agree that we definitely need a new and larger post office but who knows if that will ever happen...I usually mail things in Plano or have my husband take mail to a Dallas post office near where he works. Seems to get places faster from there anyway and not get lost as some of our mailings have done.

I’m sure others can remember further back than I can, but I remember when there was nothing west of 75 except McDonald’s and Chevron. 

I remember that. When we moved here there were on two signal lights. Main & Hwy 5 and the newly installed Bethany & Hwy 5. Nothing west of 75 except the McDonalds and the sides (bar ditch?) of McDermott were so steep, most of the time your car would turn over if you went off the road. I remember a cement mixer doing that. It took them a very long time to get it back out and up-righted.

UPDATE:  The subject was tabled until the October 10th meeting.  Some of the CC members voiced concern of the proposed phases of construction.  The proposal was to build all the residential and all the retail/restaurant first and then the offices built last.  Some members instead wanted a small portion of each (live, work, play) built at one time instead to avoid the offices getting overlooked and/or omitted once the developer started making enough money on everything else.  I don't know if this is a valid concern or if this happens frequently but it was enough to raise concern.  Sounds like only 2 members had a big enough concern to ask them to re-look at the phases and come back with a new proposal.  The other members seemed satisfied with what was already proposed but voted to table just to see if the developers could do better. 

I think that's a tough request.  They have to start bringing in the money from the easy properties before they build towering offices.  I hope they don't push back too hard.  Both sides seem eager to bring this here.

Some traffic improvements that were already implemented:

1) Adding a second right turn lane from EB Stacy to SB 75

2) Continue Chelsea Lane that goes along the Outlet Mall south through the property and connect to SB 75.  Also easing Stacy to 75 traffic

3) Adding a stoplight at Stacy & Sweetwater

4) Deceleration lanes at all 8 entrances and an acceleration lane at the southern most exit onto SB 75 (similar to near Cabela's)

It's certainly not my area of expertise - but I hope planners seriously consider the traffic implications of development in that area.

Continuing Chelsea Lane all the way to 75 was by request from the city

UPDATE:  This was tabled again last night and they will come back on the 24th.  The developers omitted 50% of the apartments but added townhouses in their place so that way there were also homeowners on the property, not just renters.  The problem now is that in order for the townhouses to work they had to request to stray away from current townhome requirements from the city.  They did not get their changes to the city in time for staff to fully review so that is the reason for the delay.  It seems the concerns over only building residential and retail before office are going away.  The council are realizing more that you have to have the foot traffic to appeal to the professionals to office there.  A good example is the convention center and everything around it going up at Bethany & 75.  All those companies wanted to build there BECAUSE of the residential and retail success at Watters Creek.  That's why it needs to come first.  

Many citizens spoke in opposition this time.  Apparently there is now a Facebook page calling for people to protest it.  Sounds like most of the complaints were not legitimate though IMO.  They complained about traffic, to which refer to my above post of the traffic studies and improvements they are making.  They also complained about more apartments.  What people don't realize is that these builders do their homework.  They know available space in Allen for apartments.  They are not going to spend the money to build them if the demand is not there.  People also had concerns over school overcrowding, but these apartments are primarily 1 bedroom urban style apartments, they are not appealing to families with many kids.  Many people contradicted themselves and said they want something to build there, but not this.  What exactly do they want?  A Costco?  Another Village at Allen with big box stores and generic retail shops?  Talk about adding traffic.  What they also need to realize is this is exactly what the city wanted.  Mixed use is what the city requested from the developers to being them.  That is what they brought them and now they are being picky.  I feel frustrated FOR the developers honestly.  They mentioned that they have a deadline from the Stacy family on when stuff needs to start happening.  I don't know if that is just a tactic to try to get things moving faster but I'd hate to lose this just because the city wants to nitpick something that can be huge.

They still haven't mentioned specific interested tenants, but someone on the council that has been speaking with the developers says that there are many that are new concept restaurants that will make the area a destination.  Meaning not as many chain restaurants.  Think The Colony around Nebraska Furniture Mart with Bread Zeppelin, Hard Eight, Rock & Brews, Truckyard, etc.  Those are the types of places that make people visit your city.  Not another Applebee's or Red Lobster.  

Well, after an intense discussion last night, this was finally approved.  It was 2 hours long and by the end I thought they were going to reject it.  I'm pretty sure the developers thought so too since right before the vote he went up and gave some final words pleading their case which doesn't usually happen.  It passed 4-3, the mayor being one that was against it.  

I really felt bad for the developer and was saying to myself exactly what he pleaded with his last words that it comes across that the city doesn't know what they actually want there and they are being told conflicting things from council, staff and citizens.  Council would say they didn't like one thing and to switch it to another, but then didn't like the the new thing because it affected a third thing, then wanted to go back to the first thing.  Oh well, excited to see what comes of it.  They said they already have exciting tenants lined up but didn't mention who.  Although a representative from Tricky Fish in Richardson talked in favor and hinted towards coming here for you seafood fans     

30 minutes ago, fornold said:

Any mention of when they plan to start moving dirt?

No timeline yet, but I don't think it would be for awhile for the actual building to start.  Phase 1 is to renovate and reinforce the flood plain area around Cottonwood Creek.  Once they get that completed it has to be approved by FEMA before they can actually start on any of the building in phases 2&3.  .