Sign in to follow this  
SAF

Kids & Families at risk

I just sent this to City of Allen & Allen ISD - sad thing is I doubt it will make any difference. :(

Another school year has begun & kids are still dodging cars. So sad the City of Allen and Allen ISD continue to pat residents living around Allen High School and Lowrey Freshman Center on the head and go on to what they view as bigger & better projects while kids dodge cars trying to walk home from school.

Each year since I purchased my home on Pebblebrook Dr. in 2012, I have written asking for sidewalks, but have been poo-poo'd by being reminded that when my neighborhood was originally built, the City of Allen did not require sidewalk installation. Well, WHO CARES? I'm living in 2019 and watching Lowrey Center kids and Allen High kids dodge cars flying down Pebblebrook with other cars waiting on both sides of the street on Pebblebrook and Sycamore while drivers trying to get through the traffic with tempers raging. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize it sounds like an accident is waiting to happen.

In all fairness, almost each time after I've written, the Police Department brought their lighted speed trailer and parked it on Pebblebrook & Sycamore (not the highest speed area)  - frankly that does nothing to curtail speed. One year the Police Department posted an officer for one day running radar in front of my home...one day.

Each day I see families, parents pushing strollers, people walking dogs, joggers, etc all in the street trying to get from point-A to point-B with cars speeding on the Pebblebrook straight-of-way.

Instead of trying to pacify residents by a 1-day to 2-week temporary fix, how about this solution:
1. Install sidewalks on Pebblebrook & Sycamore - no more "we'll see" if we get this grant or that grant & then do nothing. We pay taxes too!
2. Post a Police Officer on Pebblebrook & Sycamore during dismissal hours to enforce speed limits & parking.

Looking at Google maps, it appears that each house has a walkway to the curb and at the curb there is a pad already set for sidewalks as if the City has or had plans to install a sidewalk along Pebblebrook. Crazy that they haven't yet.