Lockhart Smokehouse

I'll have a Yelp! review up soon, but here's a teaser:

The search is over. It *is* possible to get Central Texas quality BBQ in Dallas, and the place to get it is Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts district of Dallas (or, as us Allenites would call it, Waco ;) ). This place is the real deal. There are a number of Lockhart, TX tie-ins:

1. Owners are family-related to Kreuz Market ownership

2. They serve Kreuz Market sausage

3. They cook over seasoned post oak trucked in from Central Texas

4. Their pitmasters were trained by Kreuz Market's head pitmaster

The place is Central Texas all the way, with very limited side items, no sandwiches, no plates or platters, no forks and most importantly, no sauce. Orders are placed by weight and wrapped in butcher paper (though they need to get some more heavy-duty stuff) and served with plain white bread.

Meats are phenomenal. Brisket is super moist (when ordered from the fatty end, the only way to do it IMO); it and the shoulder clod and ribs all have great smoke and are tender but not mushy. Sausage is just like being in Kreuz Market, and is just something that can't be described; it's like no other sausage I've had in Dallas.

Downsides: Their rub is a little heavy on salt, but not terribly so. It's a little spendy (the sausage links pack a high "delivery premium" on the way up from Lockhart), and of course, it's a bit of a haul, especially from here (though I did make it in a little over a half hour today).

Bottom line: This is it. The real thing. If we could ever get anything like this in Allen, I'd have to move or start ordering Lipitor by the truckload.

Brad

My Yelp! review is here. You might want to read the earlier reviews if you want to fully understand my ire at the beginning. :)

Brad

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

They shoulda built up this way ... far away from snooty Dallasites. Nice job bringing them back down to earth.

And what's with all the compaints about "no sauce?" They really don't get the entire smoked BBQ concept in the city, do they?

Just got back and I can't say enough good things about this place. I work not too far down the street, so I'm going to do my best to avoid going there multiple times a week.

I ordered 1/4 lb brisket from the fatty end, 2 ribs, 1 sausage link, "Today's Deviled Eggs", and a bucket of Shiner. The beer was split with my co-worker, the meat & eggs consumed by me.

The brisket was right up there with the best I've ever had, and the ribs not too far behind. I agree with OP on the rub being a tad salty, but only as it applied to the ribs. Everything else was fine. But the sausage. Oh my, the sausage. Nothing compares to one of those 'fall apart in your hands' links. Combine that with the deviled eggs (made with BRISKET) and ice cold Shiner, and I was in heaven.

Do whatever you can to get to this place. Better yet, stay away and leave some for the rest of us! :spin:

• 2 years later...

There were about 30 people in line when I went (arrived about 12:20 on Tuesday), and it took me 10-15 minutes to get through the line.

Parking is, well, as bad as ever. :) It's downtown Plano, if you can't get lucky and park on the street, you're looking for a parking lot within a decent distance. I got lucky.

Brad

You mean selling as much as they can make, at a high margin, won't work? Okay.

Not at all what I meant. Folks down south are used to BBQ places running like this. Those around here don't like being told "sorry ... we just ran out." They won't be back.

You mean selling as much as they can make' date=' at a high margin, won't work? Okay.[/quote']

Not at all what I meant. Folks down south are used to BBQ places running like this. Those around here don't like being told "sorry ... we just ran out." They won't be back.

Personally this translates to "I MUST try this place out and go early to make sure I get some BBQ that I must have been missing"

You mean selling as much as they can make' date=' at a high margin, won't work? Okay.[/quote']

Personally this translates to "I MUST try this place out and go early to make sure I get some BBQ that I must have been missing"

Agreed!

• 1 month later...

I work in downtown Dallas, so several of us ordered out last week. I ordered pork chops, but they were out so got brisket and deviled eggs. The deviled eggs were really tasty. I can't say the same for the brisket. While it had a really good flavor, it was so greasy that I literally had to take out the many chunks of fat in it. It was disgusting. I would never wait in line to taste this again. I'm also not big on slices of white bread. Where are the rolls?