Jimmy Johns on Exchange

• 1 month later...

Finally had a chance to get to it today. Had the "Gargantuan" with hot peppers on the yummy french bread. It was quite large and full of meat. Just the sandwich is enough to fill up a grown man. Still a great sandwich, just the way I remember it

• 1 month later...

I give Jimmy John’s a thumbs down. A sandwich shop in this region of the country that doesn’t include cheese is not understanding their market. Their sandwich was good. The facility was nice. It cost $4.95 but add $0.85 for cheese. So that’s $5.80 for a sub with no chips or drink. If Subway weren’t around, then Jimmy John’s would get a good rating because cost/value wouldn’t be a consideration. But Subway has multiple choices for cheese plus multiple choices for bread! Subway has more vegetables which is only a mild positive for me but a huge positive to my wife.

Thus, Jimmy John’s gets a thumbs down.

I give Jimmy John’s a thumbs down. It cost $4.95 but add $0.85 for cheese. So that’s $5.80 for a sub with no chips or drink.

Isn't that about normal anywhere? I know that's what it is at Great Outdoors and Jersey Mike's is actually more. Only thing cheaper would be $5 subway which are only the most basic sandwiches with probably the lowest quality meat in the market

I give Jimmy John’s a thumbs down. It cost $4.95 but add $0.85 for cheese. So that’s $5.80 for a sub with no chips or drink.

Isn't that about normal anywhere? I know that's what it is at Great Outdoors and Jersey Mike's is actually more. Only thing cheaper would be $5 subway which are only the most basic sandwiches with probably the lowest quality meat in the market

You raise a fair question. I was comparing to Subway and can't speak to the quality of the meat, which seemed fine to me at both places. But you might be aware of something more premium in the meat at Jimmy Johns. I haven't eaten at the other 2 places you mentioned. Overall, my wife and I found a huge preference to Subway. My wife was particularly partial to the vegetables at Subway.

Edited by Guest

I don't like cheese on my subs. I think cold cheese on a sandwich is gross. I'm from Dallas.

Speak for yourself! I'd be happy to save $.85 at Subway by not getting cheese.

BTW, a #15 on wheat with lettuce, tomato, mayo and a little bit of red wine vinegar at Great Outdoors is TDF! I wish GO was closer. You should go there. These shops are not on par with Subway. It's like comparing Smashburger or Five Guys to McDonalds. There's no comparison. Subway is an Oldsmobile. It's cheap for a reason.

Haven't been to Jimmy John's yet, but saving $ by not ordering cheese on my sub is a check in the PRO column for me!

Edited by Guest

The great favorite sandwich war could shape up to be as contentious as the great favorite Tex-Mex war!

Great Outdoors is our favorite, too, and I also we had one closer. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Subway, but my daughter thinks the veggies at Subway are "gross". I've tried the JJ's in Richardson and I liked it okay but I wasn't knocked out. I might still prefer it to Subway.

Try a #13 Italian at Jersey Mikes! Mmm it's awesome any day. They slice the meat and cheese only when you order. They don't have 100 veggies to choose from like Subway, only lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles, but they look really fresh every time. If you order a hot sub it's not meat reheated in the mw. They cook the meat on the griddle when you order. I am on their email list so once in a while I get a coupon for free chips & drink, then a regular sub meal is about $7. There's also a card you can get to earn points, it's about 1 free sub for every dozen or so.

I've tried to order a Subway Italian back in January when they're promoting the $5 foot long, and it just didn't taste right. The #13 at Jersey Mikes I can eat that everyday if health is not an issue. I wish there's one in Allen. The closest ones from here are on 75/Park and 121/DNT.

I concur, #13 at Jersey Mike's, Mike's way w/"juice" is the greatest. If you haven't been to JM in Plano I strongly encourage it. It is the Cadillac of sandwich shops. And yes, subway is the Oldsmobile. I was hoping for JM in Allen even though it's not that far away, but can live with JJ even though it's not AS good.

Subway is disgusting.

It's also home to shiny meat

mmm....Shiny Meat

Where I agree with you that subway meat is disgusting, I don't agree with the shiny meat argument. You really should post the article that your picture is from explaining why rainbowing of meat is neither uncommon or unhealthy

http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/what-causes-beef-rainbows/273534/

Ate at JJ's once and doubt I will ever go again. Didn't have much taste, bread was to thick for my liking and they don't allow salt & pepper.

That's right, no salt & pepper allowed. Sorry but I like me some S&P on my sammies. Why would a place not allow salt & pepper?

Will stick with Which Wich or even Subway.

Edited by Guest