Matt's Rancho Martinez

No mention of Matt's closing down on here.

We went by Friday night, but saw them carrying stuff out of the restaurant instead of being open for business. We were told that they just weren't making any money at that location.

Too bad... I liked that place.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it seems that is a really bad location. Really everything on that side short of the IHOP seems to have a tough time. Oddly seems like an out of the way place for locals, mostly because there is nothing else really in that area. If you took Matt's and put it in the Village or Watters I think it would have done well. I liked Matt's, but I could tell it was doomed from the start.

Plus ... we seem to have a bit of an overkill when it comes to Tex-Mex.

We found Matt's problem seemed to be in management. Almost every time we went a new manager was there and the overall service suffered from it. It was mismanaged from the start. On The Border has been there for some time and seems to be doing well also.

Gee wonder why IHOP is still there. Couldn't be the location since it's close to that dreaded spot. Give me a break. Seems they made a decision and didn't want to be in Allen.

..Or the public made the decision not to go there since it was mediocre at best or never even attempted it because of the bad location. A very large percentage of a restaurants patrons (especially here in Allen) are people not from the city and may not be as familiar with the area. They are here for shopping or other things and are going to go to the first restaurant that they recognize and/or is in an easily accessible location. To which Matt's was neither. Do you really think an out of towner that passes Matt's going South is going to know to turn onto McDermott, cut through the Hobby Lobby/Staples parking lot, backtrack on Junction Dr, making sure not to turn onto the road that goes alongside of Matt's since you can't get there from that road, but instead go past that road and past Matt's itself and use the IHOP driveway working their way to their final destination??? Nope, they are going to be keep going until they see something they can easily get to.

To add, I'll say the same thing I said last time we discussed that area being (or not being) a bad location... "Does Bennigan's, Trinity Hall, Edwin Watts and Double Dave's Pizza sound familiar?" History doesn't lie. There are many other locations in this city that have the same problem.

As Shiraz said, I think IHOP and OTB are different. They are a much more established company not to mention the lack of breakfast places around here.

Plus ... we seem to have a bit of an overkill when it comes to Tex-Mex.

We found Matt's problem seemed to be in management. Almost every time we went a new manager was there and the overall service suffered from it. It was mismanaged from the start. On The Border has been there for some time and seems to be doing well also.

On the Border is a big chain ... they've got money to throw at it. Matt's didn't.

I'm not a big fan of TexMex food (my wife is), but I thought that the food at Matt's was pretty good. Before it opened in Allen, we had gone a number of times to the related restaurant in Dallas. The food was comparable, and the service in Allen was pretty good when they first opened. However, we went twice during their last couple of months in Allen, and the service was absolutely terrible. Both times, they forgot about us after we were seated, it took a long time to get our food, and the soup was cold. My wife sent the management an email, but didn't hear back.

Is there a threshold of bad customer experiences that is hard to recover from? I suspect that when clients stop coming, tips decline, and the good servers go elsewhere. This results in more bad customer experiences and even less revenue for the business, leading to a downward spiral.

I also emailed their corporate office once and never received a response.

I think YOU'VE nailed the situation that existed with that statement. Sounds like just another conceited company that doesn't listen to what the public is telling them. Oh well, go join Tootie's and Nate's in the bitter barn thinking that it was just the public, not the company.

The original Matt's in Austin is great and doesn't have the same issues, so not an acceptable excuse for the location in Allen to have poor management and service.

This one was sort of a spinoff of the original Matt's in Austin. Some similarities, but not exactly the same.

• 1 year later...