Sign in to follow this  
XPSBAllen

What's wrong with the Allen Post Office?

Does anyone else have issues with the Allen Post Office? I go days without getting mail, then the box will be stuffed. The driver marks packages as delivered and then they don't show up until days later. I also experience lost packages (happens at least twice a month). I've contacted USPS consumer affairs, spoke to the manager at the Allen Post; he is EXTEREMLY rude. Nothing has been done, last quote from the Allen Post Master was "Listen buddy, if we find the package we'll deliver it". This is a nightmare that I have been fighting for 5 years since moving to Allen. My postal carrier doesn't even speak English, I've tried talking to him.

I spoke to several of my neighbors or friends who also live in Allen and they expressed the same issues.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Our service has generally been good over the past 21 years, however the Allen PO recently lost a certified letter with no clue as to what happened to it. Otherwise we've never lost any packages or envelopes that I can recall. And while some packages seem to get delayed at the Coppel sorting facility, I usually receive packages on time without delay.

We had one mail carrier for a long time who was the nicest one I'd ever met, he would bring packages to the door, ring the bell, and wait for someone to answer. He was always cheerful and made comments regarding the weather if you met him at the mailbox. Sadly he passed away a couple years ago.

The carriers we have now are a little more random from day to day.

The times that I do go into the PO to mail things, I've generally been treated fairly and courteously.

Allen PO is not all bad.

Don - I know the letter carrier you're talking about - Dan. We miss him too. He was so nice.

I do go to the post office each weekday to pick up mail from a PO box for work. The only times I've had to wait in line is if we have a package too big for the PO box or a certified letter to pick up. Customer service has always been good. If I just have to get stamps, I will use the self-serve machine over by the PO boxes. I can also do the self-serve package shipping without any problems. It saves waiting in line if I am in a hurry.

I've had problems for years. I get other peoples mail all the time and have to either take it to them or put it back in my box if it's too far away. I once got a large bag filled with prescription medication - took that one to the resident. I don't trust Allen USPS at all. I get important mail sent to my work address. I usually bring any mail I have to send out to work with me as well. I've had to call the post office a time or two and while the person was really nice, wasn't very helpful. I agree that it is a mess and they can't seem to keep up with the growth...or something. If I'm getting other residents mail, makes me wonder what mail I am not getting, or am getting days later because it was delivered wrong.

I don't know anyone in the City of Allen who has a real USPS postal carrier. I think the majority of us are on contract routes. They don't wear uniforms, BTW.

The only REAL postal workers I've seen are at the post office.

We have a genuine, verified, uniformed postal worker who does a great job and is very friendly. He even does a good job putting up with all the cars that park too close to the mail boxes. I will say once in awhile there is a substitute so I know exactly what you all are talking about.

Sorry, can't believe a mail carrier would not speak English since they have to converse in the post office and one person isn't speaking in one language and another person in another language. The job application is in English; of course, that would only mean that the person has to be able to read and write in English.

In most cases I have no problems with my mail carrier or the service provided. I even receive the wrong mail about once in 3-6 months and don't get upset with it. People do make mistakes.

I agree with most of the posts. I am even ok with a random lost or late delivered parcel, due to the sure volume the USPS delivers. However, I have had constant problems with the Allen post office especially the carrier I have now.

I receive a lot of packages, maybe 5-10 per week; I'd say 50% are marked as deliver and then actually delivered days later. I also have at least have 1 lost package per month. I now ONLY ship expensive items via UPS or FedEx.

I can also promise you that my carrier, at least to me, acts like he does not speak any English. In each encounter I have NEVER lost my cool and have always been very polite.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap83-sec1703.pdf

Whoever, being a Postal Service officer or employee, unlawfully secretes, [color:blue]destroys, detains, delays, or opens any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail[/color] entrusted to him or which shall come into his possession, and which was intended to be conveyed by mail, or carried or delivered by any carrier or other employee of the Postal Service, or forwarded through or delivered from any post office or station thereof established by authority of the Postmaster General or the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

[color:blue]Mishandling prescription medications should be a finable offense.[/color]

I don't know anyone in the City of Allen who has a real USPS postal carrier. I think the majority of us are on contract routes. They don't wear uniforms, BTW.

The only REAL postal workers I've seen are at the post office.

I'm not being flippant, but I've not seen a contract postal carrier in Allen... ever. All the ones I see running around on the East side of town have always been uniformed and driving official USPS delivery trucks.

:shrug:

Although I've not had too many issues with the Allen PO, I can understand the frustration if you're area has uncaring contract carriers.

I've lived here for 12 years, and I've never had my mail delivered by a person in a Postal Service Uniform. Ever.

I lived on the East side for most of that time, but my mail carriers that I've seen in the last 5 months at this house on the West Side, all 5 or 6 different ones, have all been in casual clothing as well.

The contract workers do drive US Mail jeeps.

About all I can say is your experiences are completely different than mine. I feel fortunate that I've not had the service issues you've had.

East side - 15 years. Never seen a contract carrier on our street. But we are one of the oldest neighborhoods in town too. Normal mail service i.e occasional mis-delivered mail. No biggie.

We have a contract person w/his own personal car that delivers up to 8:45 p.m. at night. When he was on vacation a regular carrier subbed and she didn't have a vehicle to drive so she had to wait until someone finished their delivery so she could use their mail truck.

Isn't there a post master general in Collin County that people can share their postal experience?

Talked with a postal worker (disclaimer: he was from Plano). He said that in 1975 Allen was a rural postal route with the exception of only a small portion (like around Main street). USPS never changed this. It probably will not be change because they would have to pay more to real USPS employees vs contract employees. Whether contractors are under the same regulations as USPS employees is unknown, but I would think they would be. (However, this is the government.)

Yes, we've discussed this before on this site. 15% is city route, and the rest is rural.

Our mail people at both houses in Allen drive USPS Jeeps, but they wear whatever they want. Usually jeans and t shirts.

We're having our second issue with this incompetent post office in the past two months and I've lost county with the amount of times we've had issues over the years. First, a state medical license was lost in the mail and was never delivered and now a package shows as having been delivered on Monday and has yet to show up.

Is there any way whatsoever to get anything done about this post office? Seriously? Or is it a typical incompetent and untouchable government agency/office with people who don't give a rat's behind about the quality of their work or how they annoy their customers? I'm really annoyed with this post office and have had enough.

You can complain to the Post Master General in D.C. Ironically you must mail a letter to them. They do not have an online complaint system which is understandable since those computer thingy's are new and that Internet thing is just a fad. What are the odds that any letter passing through the Allen post office addressed to the Post Master General will actually get there?