Sign in to follow this  
catmama2

Neighborhood Picketing

Looking for any advice that is out there.

I don't want to go into specifics but we have some people picketing a house in our neighborhood wanting information from one of the occupants. They stay on the sidewalk but as of last night are out walking in the alley. I know it is technically legal, first amendment and all, but is there any recourse we have as neighbors to ask them to, at least, relocate? While they really aren't saying anything, it's becoming a nuisance to those of us that live right around the house. I'm particularly troubled by the move to congregate in the alley way. Surrounding a house seems a little "stalky" (yes, I know that isn't a word :)).

I'm thinking maybe there is an ordinance or something that can be cited to request relocation? I know we can't tell them to stop if they aren't doing anything illegal. Some of us would just prefer they move away from the homes.

The police could tell you what the rules allow. A conversation with the picketer's leader might communicate that their message has been conveyed and that now the nuisance factor is working against them.

I am so curious about the reason for the picketing.

Yeah, the police have been called by several people. They say they cannot do anything unless they get on someone's property, yell or threaten anyone. So far that hasn't happened.

I wish we could talk to the group leader but in this case it is a parent of a missing adult. I think any discussion would go in one ear and out the other. They are not interested in the neighbors feelings and to a degree I understand that. I just wish they would understand that if the occupant hasn't spoken to them in 5 days, it's probably not going to happen so it's time to move on. They've made their point.

I don't begrudge them doing whatever they feel is necessary to find their adult child but I think they could be more respectful of the neighborhood or at least go to a more common area.

So is the person just not talking to the police? Is the family trying to convince him to tell police what he knows or did he talk to the police and now the family wants to talk to him also? The story was unclear...

No he has talked to the police multiple times and the police have stated repeatedly that he is cooperating and is not considered a suspect or a person of interest. The police have specifically kept his name out of the media. The family is the one that put his name, address and picture out there for all to see. I guess that is what really makes me angry. From what I understand there was a public FB post inviting anyone and everyone to join them in the protests last weekend. As a neighbor that makes me very uneasy. Something like this creates a host of emotions and everyone has their own way of expressing said emotions.

Again, I don't begrudge the family doing everything possible in their mind to find their loved one. Don't want to come off that way. This just isn't the way to do it in my opinion.

Yeah, the police have been called by several people. They say they cannot do anything unless they get on someone's property, yell or threaten anyone. So far that hasn't happened.

I wish we could talk to the group leader but in this case it is a parent of a[color:red]missing adult[/color]. I think any discussion would go in one ear and out the other. They are not interested in the neighbors feelings and to a degree I understand that. I just wish they would understand that if the occupant hasn't spoken to them in 5 days, it's probably not going to happen so it's time to move on. They've made their point.

I don't begrudge them doing whatever they feel is necessary to find their adult child but I think they could be more respectful of the neighborhood or at least go to a more common area.

I don't know how I'd respond if my child was missing? Maybe calling it a missing 'adult child' makes it easier for you but I can be 55 and if my adult child was missing I'd do all I could to get answers. In our society the squeaky wheel ALWAYS gets the oil (right or wrong) so I have no issues with them picketing.

I'm just wondering what you think would be a better way to get the young man to speak with the mom (or whomever) of this YOUNG adult lady. If he doesn't have anything to hid, why not speak with her?

I agree that the picketers on your street can be annoying but if it was my YOUNG adult child, I would stop at nothing to get some answers. If I lived on your street, I would let it go and be thankful that the missing person wasn't my child or loved one. Of course, if the picketers violate some law, call the police and let them take care of it.

Edited by Guest

I'm just wondering what you think would be a better way to get the young man to speak with the mom (or whomever) of this YOUNG adult lady. If he doesn't have anything to hid, why not speak with her?

Why in the world would anyone think that it would be a good idea for this young man to talk to the missing woman's family? They don't sound like the most level-headed bunch and it appears they are just looking for a scape goat of some kind. This young man has already talked to the police, so let the police do their job. Picketing isn't going to acoplish anything except irritate the neighbors of this young man against the family of the missing woman!

Picketing outside my home would just make me dig in my heels and would not make me more cooperative. According to the news report the young man has been cooperating with the police who are investigating. I am certainly sympathetic with family and friends of the young woman but they seem to be flailing around in their search efforts. It may satisfy their need to do something but I doubt very much that it adds to police efforts.

I guess I just have more sympathy for that poor mother and her friends than other people do. Again, if he is her friend, why not speak to her family just to give them some comfort if nothing else? Something about that doesn't add up.

Any time you're questioned by the police you should be consulting a lawyer. Even if you have nothing to hide. Its the smart thing to do.

You should also consult a lawyer if you have protestors hanging out in front of your house.

The person they are picketing originally denied walking the girl to her car. Video later confirmed that he actually had walked her to her car.

I say keep picketing and get him to talk.

Some of you need to put yourself in the mother's shoes. I have five kids and I assure you I'd do all I could to get answers.

God bless our great country for the rights to speech and to picket. I can't tell you how many people I meet that think their sidewalks are theirs alone or the streets are private.

Apparently you don't have your facts straight.

Man in Surveillance Video Speaks Out About Christina Morris

It would do more harm to the investigation than good If he were to talk with Cristina's family. [color:red]The family should look for some other avenue to vent their frustrations[/color].

Classy, very classy...

They aren't venting. They are looking for their daughter. By any means necessary...

However, the family members are not Liam Neeson in movies, who can just take matters into his own hands. If they think the police is not doing enough, it's better to hire private investigators than standing in front of this guy's house and force him to talk. They will not get a satisfactory answer out of this guy if they haven't already.

It would do more harm to the investigation than good If he were to talk with Cristina's family. [color:red]The family should look for some other avenue to vent their frustrations[/color].

Classy' date=' very classy...

They aren't venting. They are looking for their daughter. By any means necessary...[/quote']

Sounds like the picketers are "keeping it classy" as you say.

"I am afraid for my life because of all the threats and people following me, telling me things like, 'Go back to Mexico or Honduras, wherever you're from.' They're even threatening my family," said . . .

However, the family members are not Liam Neeson in movies, who can just take matters into his own hands. If they think the police is not doing enough, it's better to hire private investigators than standing in front of this guy's house and force him to talk. They will not get a satisfactory answer out of this guy if they haven't already.

Hmm, but he just now did a media interview? I think it prompted him to come out and talk publicly. I'm a salesperson by trade and by nature. You can get people to 'act'. These people picketing prompted this interview.

He's the last person who walked with her to the parking garage and her car never left the garage. He bar-hopped with her that evening so maybe he could have seen something that evening?

The squeaky wheel always gets the attention; whether it's babies, toddlers, complaining workers, or grown adults. Even our legal system and laws of our nation have been formulated by responding to the squeaky wheel. I have no issue with them picketing and doing all they can to keep this a priority for the Plano PD.

They aren't venting. They are looking for their daughter. By any means necessary...[/quote']

Sounds like the picketers are "keeping it classy" as you say.

"I am afraid for my life because of all the threats and people following me, telling me things like, 'Go back to Mexico or Honduras, wherever you're from.' They're even threatening my family," said . . .

Good God....some of you really make me wonder.

Oh, bold and highlight it and make it stand out as if it's the picketers that are making these threats. Try reading the earlier postings.

If this person feels threatened or had threats made why isn't there a police report?

Of course they are venting. They are frustrate that they are no closer to finding their daughter than they where shortly after she went missing. They won't find their daughter by picketing a house, and are doing more harm than good.

Hmm, but he just now did a media interview? I think it prompted him to come out and talk publicly. I'm a salesperson by trade and by nature. You can get people to 'act'. These people picketing prompted this interview.

And the only new piece of information we got from the interview is that there is a group of crazy people who are making threats against this person and his family. The picketers are doing more harm than good my feeding these crazy people with false ideas.

If this person feels threatened or had threats made why isn't there a police report?

What makes you think that he hasn't? And please don't go picketing the house to find out, leave the poor family alone and let the police do their work.

However' date=' the family members are not Liam Neeson in movies, who can just take matters into his own hands. If they think the police is not doing enough, it's better to hire private investigators than standing in front of this guy's house and force him to talk. They will not get a satisfactory answer out of this guy if they haven't already.[/quote']

He's the last person who walked with her to the parking garage and her car never left the garage. He bar-hopped with her that evening so maybe he could have seen something that evening?

The squeaky wheel always gets the attention; whether it's babies, toddlers, complaining workers, or grown adults. Even our legal system and laws of our nation have been formulated by responding to the squeaky wheel. I have no issue with them picketing and doing all they can to keep this a priority for the Plano PD.

Yes he came out to talk, but said nothing new. He said he knew nothing about her disappearance. He was more out to declare that he's under threat.

If the family is happy with that answer to begin with, they will not be picketing in front of his house. And if they think picketing is the answer, perhaps it's more effective to picket in front of Plano PD HQ to push the police to do more.

I feel the pain for the family, and as a woman, I am horrified to see missing women on the news. So yes the family should not give up and must keep searching. However, I just don't see how their method is going anywhere.