Sign in to follow this  
Community Manager

CB Radio Interference.

It is possible for a Citizens Band Radio to cause interference with a TV.  If you own the CB base station and have it close to your TV then you might try moving further away or shielding the TV to prevent interference.  If a neighbor owns the CB base station then they might have faulty equipment (improper filtering, transmitting out of band, or overpowered transmission).  If worse comes to worse you can always complaint to the FCC.

Here is a staring point: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/interference-defining-source

Thank you for the information and the link to the FCC was very helpful.

What I would like to do is consider setting up a CB base station myself as a hobby but I do not want to disturb my neighbors. I can ensure that my setup would not have faulty equipment within reason. The setup and especially the antenna would be professionally installed.

Thank you for the information and the link to the FCC was very helpful.

What I would like to do is consider setting up a CB base station myself as a hobby but I do not want to disturb my neighbors. I can ensure that my setup would not have faulty equipment within reason. The setup and especially the antenna would be professionally installed.

I am an amateur radio operator and RFI is always a concern and it is good you are thinking about others prior to creating the problem and I applaud you for that.  Here are some links to the issue that you may find helpful.  Generally for a CB there is not that much of an issue because the power levels are much lower that you might see for a amateur radio station but still poor equipment or cabling can cause issues.  I hope these are helpful.

http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

Wayne

N5WIN